Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Curve Ball

Finishing up treatment hasn't resulted in the break we thought it might. Raina had a rough go of the final three rounds of chemotherapy, but hung in there like a champ. However, she has been experiencing some significant, debilitating symptoms that are being attributed to the radiation therapy. It is unclear how long these symptoms will persist or if they are reversible. We came into the hospital last week to help us manage her general discomfort and it has turned out to be one of our most troubling stays. Difficulty breathing yesterday bought us an express ticket to the ICU, where we will remain for an undetermined number of days.

I don't think anyone was prepared for this development, and so it has been an injustice that is twice as hard to swallow. The familiar feelings of fear, anger and despair have crept back up and are looming large. Raina is clearly having trouble tolerating the environment and we are no fans either. Looking back over previous posts and thinking through earlier stints here, I was relieved to realize we already know the formula for getting through this ordeal... Family and friends. So, however you are receiving the word (telegraph and carrier pigeon being the most likely), please... don't hesitate to reach out. We need you now as much as ever. If you are close enough to visit, Raina would love you to read her a story, give her a back rub or just smell her feet (an old fave). Courtney and I would certainly appreciate 30 minutes off the bedside watch as well to indulge in cafeteria mac 'n cheese or a nap.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, mixup in my comment before, that's why I removed it. Anyway, stumbled upon your blog when searching for my own name... I'm another Raina and born in January, too (11th). Please know I'll pray for you, Raina & baby-to-come. God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason - our hearts are just breaking for you and Raina and Courtney. Your Dad has kept us up to date with Raina's trials and tribulations over these many long months. We are praying that you and Courtney find the strength to make peace with all the decisions your are forced to make. Just know in your hearts that Raina has had the most incredible, loving, giving, fighting, thoughtful thinking, researching, determined parents a child could EVER possibly imagine having in this fight of hers. You have left no stone unturned, you have given everything possible. We pray for your continued strength and your own health through this terrifically tough time. God Bless You Both, and God Bless Raina. Very sincerely, Nancy and Phil Townsend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason and Courtney, We've been following both of your blogs and have received updates from your parents throughout this ordeal. You have faced this with courage and have kept anger at bay which has got to be next to impossible. Raina is a strong warrior. She got that from you! Know that we are all here hoping for the best. Love, Paul and Peggi

    ReplyDelete
  5. You don't know me but I've been following Raina's blogs for quite some time. I so hope she'll bounce back and I wish you everything you need to carry you through this.
    What can I say...
    (((HUG))) from a stranger who is dealing with cancer in her own family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason/Courtney, it saddens me to read the most recent post as it is unfair and your feelings are completely justified as I share the same. If it is at all possible, I would love to come and entertain Raina (keep you posted).
    The post from Nancy and Phil states it the best - I sincerely believe Raina is the luckiest girl possible to have such amazing parents! Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friends, This is heartbreaking news. I am so sorry to hear about your recent struggle. You are all so loved and surrounded by lots of prayers.

    Ditto to Nancy and Phil's post. Very well said. Raina has been blessed with the best of the best! She is as lucky to have you both as you are to have her.

    Love, Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't know me either but, I have been following your Blog, pictures and updates from a friend. The giggles of little ones are amazing and brighten the day for everyone within ear shot as witnessed by her video, keep those sounds and feelings close to your heart. My husband and I have a 17 month old daughter and every night we pray for Raina V before we go to sleep. I don't know either of you personally but, I hope you feel the strength we are sending through prayer to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your family is always in my prayers... god has a plan, even unfair at times, and to go through so many obstacles and struggles. Love Lindsay (althouse) Gerringer

    ReplyDelete