Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Infit

I really like Latin. The language I mean. Its age and relative obscurity to modern folk grant it a healthy respect I think. There is an elegance to it too that I am not educated enough to properly describe.

I understand "ex dolor" to translate as "from pain", which appropriately describes my motivation in writing here. Per above this is maybe a more respectable and elegant title than the English alternative.

My daughter Raina was diagnosed with a brain tumor the day after her first birthday. She spent the next eight days in the hospital being poked, prodded, irradiated, sedated, cut open and ultimately stitched back up only for us to learn that the tumor was malignant, aggressive and pushing up against her brain stem.

The devastation that this diagnosis has wrought on our little family unit is hard to describe. I sit here, despairing, on the eve of a meeting where the final pathology report will be presented to us... fearful of any and all eventualities that may unfold.

I have hope that this blog can serve as a kind of therapy for my wife and I during these uncertain times... And maybe even as a means of communicating with family and friends when we find it hard to speak the words.

4 comments:

  1. Courtney/Jason,
    It was devestating when we first heard the news about little Raina as we were in complete shock...why her? How come it wasn't something detectable earlier? I'm sure all the questions a parent could hope to get answers to. Now, we are in even more shock with the news of the tumor being malignant. We are praying for her and all of you as these are not easy times...based on all the posts and emails that we have been fortunate enough to read - it sounds as if anyone could fight this, it is Raina. She seems courageous and brave --and of course, a sweetheart!

    Please know that we are thinking of all of you, love you dearly and our praying that she will fight all odds! If there's anything we can do, please let us know.

    With love,
    Rushi & Amisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney and Jason,

    Brad and I have been thinking about you and praying for Raina. I know in this time of uncertainty you must be asking for answers to so many unanswered questions. I pray that you will find the strength and courage to get through the chaos of Raina’s illness and see the peace in all the happy and innocent moments that she experiences. I am confident that Raina’s courage and your love for her will help guide your family through this difficult experience.

    Love,
    Brad and Madelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney & Jason, Kevin and I have been thinking about you guys non-stop. Our entire family (our parents, siblings, friends and grandparents) are all praying for the darling Raina. We really enjoyed looking at your other blog and it is obvious that you are such a loving, strong family. It is no surprise to me that Raina is such a brave little girl...look at her amazing parents!! :) We love you dearly and continue to pray.
    Love, Danielle & Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't know me... I follow Amber Scrugg's Little Moon blog and saw Raina's gorgeous pictures and the link to your blog. I pray for you and your family and of course for Raina. Cancer is a pesky disease but the treatments evolve and improve rapidly. In 2001 my father was diagnosed with a Gasstrointestinal Stromal Sarcoma and was told that most in his condition only live 6 months. They did surgery to remove what they could and buy him some time. Long story short, and about 5 surgeries later, he's still with us and he's on a brand new drug that is actually shrinking his tumors. I highly recommend consulting with the doctors at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston Texas for ideas, they're truly some of the best in the country and have given my own father a healthy life. Again, I pray for all of you, your daughter is a beautiful little girl.
    Sincerely,
    Lindsay Eulenfeld

    ReplyDelete