Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Making Lemonade

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade."

... I was driving home from the hospital last week when this saying popped into my head. I thought it would be nice to meet the person that first uttered it so I could punch them in the face. What a trite and naive observation. If only it were that easy.

Coming back to that train of thought, now with emotion removed from the equation, I wonder if there isn't something to learn from that phrase. What if we were to speak with or write to other families who are confronted with similar diagnoses? What if we were to soften up and become more compassionate people? What if this experience reminded us how miraculous it is that we live and breathe ... and made us take the time to revel in it? It does not seem possible that we will be able to channel the bitterness, anger and fear into something positive enough to balance the tragedy of Raina's illness. However it does seem possible and maybe even likely that Courtney and I will learn a better way to live. Regardless of the shape it might take I am inspired by the potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment